The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role, you will be legally authorized to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a Visa transfer of Visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Development Lab Technician opportunity, you should also have:
- A bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline such as chemistry or polymer chemistry preferred
- 1 to 2 years of lab experience in an analytical or R&D environment; professional experience is preferred but we will also strong internships
- Experience with data collection and data analysis
- Familiarity with lab equipment, including chemical handling procedures
- Experience in organic synthesis, polymerization, or materials science is a plus
- Experience in chemical formulation is a plus
- Strong MS Excel skills
- The ability to understand and comply with environmental, health, and safety (EHS) requirements and best practices; a commitment to safety
- The ability to physically wear and utilize personal protective equipment such as gloves and safety glasses
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills
- Good attendance
- Attention to detail
The RoleReporting directly to the Applications Supervisor, as Development Technician, you will work with and support the Coating R&D team including the Technical Manager, to whom you'll indirectly report, three engineers and yourself. You will support coating R&D by utilizing lab coating equipment and helping with formulation work in order to execute experimental programs. You must be able to maintain constant quality awareness and be able to apply chemical knowledge while formulating and coating.
More specifically, you will:
- Support coating engineers with development of chemical formulations and product testing
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment in accordance with standard operating procedures, safety procedures, and environmental practices
- Manage chemical inventory and laboratory supplies
- Develop SOP’s and specifications for project equipment
- Conduct technical studies
- Assist in the development and implementation of new tests and procedures
- Be responsible for sample submissions, data collection, and compiling data for analysis
- Maintain quality checks on safety and cleanliness of laboratory
- Perform other duties as requested by management
Note: This description is intended to provide a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Why CelgardInnovative environment
We are proud of being one of the best companies in our industry and #1 in the world for the dry process. The market for Lithium batteries is growing fast and the demand is soaring, especially with the strength of the electric vehicle market. You will enjoy a robust R&D environment including an R&D team of 40+ highly collaborative and talented individuals. In time, you will work with a range of collaborative individuals in a creative atmosphere, possibly even interacting with the team at our parent company in Japan.
We are always looking for talent with the bandwidth to grow. The role of Development Lab Technician is a role with a great many training and learning opportunities. We also employ a rigorous employee planning process each year to help you clarify and work toward your career goals.
Our product line is used in a diverse number of applications in robust markets, including laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, EDVs and more. You can feel pride knowing that your efforts will support the safety of our battery separators.
Research & development
At Celgard, we continuously enhance the design and functionality of our battery separators through significant research and development. We take pride in our teams of scientists, engineers, and technical specialists, who enable us to remain a market leader in technology advancement.
In addition to a competitive wage, we offer a strong and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a prescription drug program; a 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts; vacation and holiday pay; educational assistance; and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will hold yourself to high standards and bring a strong work ethic. We'll provide you with clear expectations and direct and honest feedback, and you will bring self-motivation and the initiative to learn. The team travels frequently, so you should be comfortable and effective working independently.
Your technical knowledge will be essential but your interpersonal skills also will be important. You must be able to mesh with the team and communicate effectively in person and virtually, as well as build strong relationships.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Development Lab Technician, you will:
- Pay close attention to detail
- Maintain constant quality awareness
- Manage multiple activities effectively
- Remain flexible and adaptable as priorities change.
- Be highly organized and able to multi-task multiple projects and activities
About UsWith more than 40 years of experience in the development, manufacturing, and distribution of high-performance membrane separators, Celgard is a recognized leader among lithium battery material suppliers, delivering outstanding product performance, reliable supply, technical solutions, and global business support. Our exceptional leadership team has years of experience in our markets and is comprised of recognized visionaries in battery and separator design and manufacturing. The entire Celgard team is dedicated to providing premium products and services to help our customers build the best batteries for today's and tomorrow's applications.
Celgard provides worldwide business support with sales and technical service team members located throughout Asia, North America, and Europe. Manufacturing operations are located in the USA, China, and Korea. We are ideally positioned to serve the just-in-time needs of a global market. We have a global network of distribution partners who provide personal assistance with our customers' procurement needs. These authorized distributors are a great asset to our world-class product supply chain.
A career at Celgard provides opportunities for challenge and advancement. Our goal is to create an environment where all employees can excel, grow, and perform to their highest potential, providing value and service to our customers and the communities in which we operate.
Celgard is part of Polypore International, Inc., a global high-technology filtration company specializing in microporous membranes. Also based in Charlotte, NC, Polypore International, Inc., operates in ten countries serving six continents.