The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role, you will be legally authorized to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a Visa transfer or Visa sponsorship.
To be a good fit for the Development Technician role in our Battery Applications Lab, you should also have:
- A bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline, ideally Chemistry.
- 1 to 2 years of lab experience (we will also consider candidates with relevant internships), preferably in an analytical or R&D environment; experience working with batteries is ideal.
- Fundamental math and analytical skills required; experience with data collection and data analysis is preferred.
- Familiarity with lab equipment, including chemical handling procedures, and attention to detail are important.
- Intermediate skill with MS Office Suite programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook); advanced Excel skills are a plus.
- Familiarity with lab equipment, including chemical handling procedures, and attention to detail.
- The ability to understand and comply with environmental, health, and safety (EHS) requirements and best practices.
- The ability to physically wear and utilize personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, gloves, coveralls, hard hats, safety glasses, and goggles.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate effectively with team members and other groups within the organization.
- Initiative and a proactive approach.
- The ability to understand the questions being asked in experiments and suggest ways of answering them.
- Self-motivation and the ability to achieve goals independently as well as to contribute effectively to teams.
- A strong teamwork orientation.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple activities and priorities.
- Willing/able to take instructions and yield quality results.
- The ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting to the Development Lab Supervisor, you will join the Applications Team located in our Concord facility and work on Lithium-ion cell fabrication and testing projects for the evaluation of Celgard products and competitive membranes. The team includes an Engineer and three other Development Technicians. It’s a talented and experienced team focusing on research and emerging technologies by collaborating with various departments (e.g. Sales, Marketing, Quality, R&D) to predict and understand the battery products as used in customers’ applications.
As a Development Technician working in the Battery Applications Lab, you will work with Lithium-ion cells of differing designs -- cylindrical, prismatic, pouch, and coin cell – and operate the cycler machines for battery testing. You will conduct abuse tolerance tests, such as internal and external short circuit tests, overcharge tests and several other UL safety standard tests, to assist with the evaluation of separators. You will collect data, create spreadsheets and reports for the functional area (R&D or Sales, for example) or customer requesting the testing information. You will be involved in the full testing cycle, including cell disassembly, separator analysis and reporting. You will be exposed to Celgard's cutting edge technology and will guard our intellectual property, design, and products by maintaining strict confidentiality.
Typically, internal testing requests come in daily. Most often you will receive multiple requests each day. Depending upon the complexity of the request, you may handle it individually or in conjunction with the Battery Lab Applications team.
Specific duties will include:
- Assisting in the development of new tools and methods to improve separator characterization techniques.
- Conducting technical studies.
- Compiling, interpreting, and documenting film test data.
- Charting and trending data.
- Managing the test database.
- Standardizing, maintaining, and troubleshooting lab test equipment.
- Writing and revising standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Ensuring safety policies and SOPs are maintained and applied.
- Maintaining quality checks on safety of laboratory.
- Supporting multiple projects.
- Working overtime as needed to complete assignments.
More Reasons to JoinProfessional development
This is a small team, so you will have opportunities to expand your skills and experience both through hands-on work and from interactions with experts on the team. Additionally, you'll work with experts in other departments. We promote a performance culture with high-energy teams that encourage cross-functional collaboration with individual contributions.
Evolution and innovation
Our products are used in a wide variety of applications, from electric drive vehicles (EDVs) to consumer electronics devices. You can probably find a Celgard membrane in products you own, such as computers, smartphones and other devices. These products are constantly changing and evolving, and you will help ensure we maintain high-quality standards as we innovate.
Strong resources for success
You will become part of a large quality organization within Celgard, sharing ideas and insights with other talented professionals. In addition, as we collaborate with Asahi Kasei's vast technical teams and strong technical network, our mission is aggressive growth and innovative technology. Come, be a part of that adventure!
Green is the present and future
As a technology-driven company tied to the green energy sector, we are poised for ongoing growth as tech products from cell phones to EDVs continue to play an increasing role in people's lives.
Celgard is committed to providing competitive pay and benefit programs that meet the needs of our employees and their families. We recognize that our greatest asset is our people and that they deserve the best support. In addition to a competitive salary and bonus potential, we offer comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, a 401(k) plan, holiday and vacation pay, and more.
Pictured: advancements in Li-ion battery technology have charged the electric EDV industry.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will hold yourself to high standards and bring a strong work ethic. By that we don't necessarily mean long hours, but rather a sense of ownership to understand the experimental question -- including pushing back when you need more information -- and the initiative to gather a bit of extra data or run a couple of extra tests. We'll provide you with clear expectations and direct and honest feedback. In return we'll look to you to remain open to learning on an ongoing basis. Your technical knowledge will be essential, but your interpersonal skills also will be important. While this is largely an individual contributor role, in order to achieve your goals you will need to interact effectively with people in different areas. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Development Technician, you will:
- Bring a sense of urgency and the ability to balance thoroughness with the time constraints imposed by rapidly evolving markets.
- Pay close attention to detail and also grasp the bigger picture and how the details fit into it.
- Maintain constant quality awareness.
- Manage multiple activities effectively, and remain flexible and adaptable as priorities change.
- Keep a constant eye out for ways to improve processes to enhance quality, efficiency, and cost control.
- Take ownership of your role and consistently demonstrate professional maturity.
About UsCelgard is a global leader in the development and production of specialty microporous membranes and is one of the largest suppliers to the lithium battery industry. Our battery separators are among the most highly-engineered and critical components of lithium battery systems. They provide a barrier between the anode and the cathode, preventing short circuits, while enabling the exchange of lithium ions from one side of the battery to the other.
Celgard has a long history of supplying separators for portable handheld devices such as notebook computers, mobile telephones, and digital cameras. And because of their unique characteristics and reliable performance, our separators are quickly being adopted into emerging high-performance applications including lithium power tools, backup power and electricity grid management systems, and -- most significantly -- electric drive vehicles (EDVs).
With company headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina, and battery separator manufacturing facilities in the United States and Asia, we are ideally positioned to serve the just-in-time needs of a global market.
Celgard is a division of Polypore, an Asahi Kasei Group company. The Asahi Kasei Group is a diversified group of companies led by holding company Asahi Kasei Corp., with operations in the material, homes, and health care business sectors. Its electronics operations include a broad range of high-performance energy/electronics materials such as the Hipore™ lithium-ion battery separator, photosensitive dry film used in the production of printed wiring boards, and photomask pellicles used in the production of LCD panels and semiconductors. With more than 30,000 employees around the world, the Asahi Kasei Group serves customers in more than 100 countries.