The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Project Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, preferably Mechanical.
- 5+ years of project engineering experience in a manufacturing or similar industry, ideally related to extrusion, lamination, blown film and/or coating processes, including:
- Equipment design, modification, installation, utilities, and facilities.
- Capital and expense project management, including estimating and implementing projects, controlling project costs, developing bid packages, and selecting/directing contractors during project execution.
- Strong experience with mechanical design, process equipment evaluation, selection, and improvement.
- A basic understanding of electrical design.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Inventor, MS Word, Excel, and Project.
- Experience working with multiple discipline projects.
- Proficiency in the application of NEC, ISA, NEMA codes and standards.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Emphasis on execution of projects and achieving results.
- Strong team leadership skills and the ability to lead effectively without formal position power.
- The ability to execute detailed plans with tight timelines to meet growing market demands.
- Excellent problem solving techniques.
- The ability to work on a team and follow timelines.
- Strengths in motivation, collaboration, initiative, sense of urgency, quality awareness, and focus on internal & external customer satisfaction.
- The ability to put together a strong team and foster team discipline.
- The ability to build effective workplace relationships, motivate employees, and support employee development.
- The ability to evaluate the team effectiveness, and how to improve its performance.
- The ability to deal with conflict productively, bringing forth issues that need to be discussed and work to forge a mutually beneficial outcome.
- Experience in the application and design of:
- Plastic extrusion equipment.
- Bonding, ovens, winding, conversion slitting, and packaging.
- Coating processes.
- Thin film web-handling and tension control.
- On-line analyzers and inspection equipment.
- Experience specifying and installing facility support equipment.
- Previous supervisory experience.
The RoleReporting to the Maintenance Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for coordinating all technical activities on assigned engineering projects. This is a role that combines hands-on engineering skill with excellent project management abilities. You'll be involved in process improvement activities that support quality, safety and efficiency initiatives. You also will have the opportunity to expand your leadership skills as you oversee one direct report.
You'll partner with the Production team, Process Engineers, Programmer, Designer and other key contacts on your projects, and we're looking for someone who can generate original ideas to solve problems and bring expertise to change requests. Although it depends on the size of the project, you can typically expect to work on approximately six projects at any given time.
More specifically, you will:
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate the technical and management aspects of assigned engineering work, including monitoring work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted engineering practices, and Celgard standards. Prepare project engineering schedules and resource forecasts.
- Lead development of engineering project proposals. Monitor budget and trend tracking. Review and approve project invoices.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination on assigned projects among all disciplines and all other project participants.
- Be responsible and accountable to ensure that assigned personnel are coordinating their activities with other project participants and that the requirements of any contracts are being satisfied.
- Use technical knowledge and awareness of details to recognize when technical problems are developing in the various disciplines, and initiate appropriate corrective actions.
- Ensure the quality of the project deliverables and effective execution of project assignments. Be accountable for the successful and on-time completion of engineering projects. Ensure projects are completed according to project plans.
- Prepare monthly project status reports and change orders; assure the accuracy of financial forecasts, which tie in to project schedules.
- Participate in contractor meetings and resolve engineering and management project issues.
- Develop and implement supplier contracts. Responsible for performance management of vendors and contractors.
- Write technical documents and use AutoCAD to develop drawings.
- Apply a wide range of design experiences and engineering expertise to capital projects in several departments of the plant. Analyze design inputs, conduct trade-off analyses and make design choices.
- Evaluate performance of mechanical, electromechanical, electrical, and other plant systems and make recommendations for improvements and cost savings.
- Maintain knowledge of and adherence to safe work practices and environments, and maintain a high level of safety among all employees throughout project process.
- Collaborate with OEMs, Design Consultants, Operations, and Maintenance personnel.
What's in It for YouProfessional development
This is an opportunity that will give you exposure to many different areas of project engineering. You'll be able to build on the foundation of mechanical talents you already have and expand your leadership and process improvement skills. In addition, you'll learn all about the company and our products.
Move the needle
As you can see under The Role, this is a broad position that will enable you to make a difference in multiple areas. We have a number of intriguing projects in the queue, including a large expansion to install coating equipment, and an update to our "safety dojo." The dojo includes safety-themed stations to support training, and we expect it to become the global safety training center for Asahi Kasei, our parent corporation.
Entry into leadership
The position will allow you to develop and showcase your ability to coordinate across functional lines to deliver results -- a characteristic we look for when leadership roles open up.
Evolution and innovation
Our products are used in a wide variety of applications, from electric drive vehicles (EDVs) to consumer electronics devices. You can probably find a Celgard membrane in products you own, such as computers, smartphones and other devices. These products are constantly changing and evolving, and you will help ensure we maintain high quality standards as we innovate.
Great work environment
We promote a performance culture with high-energy teams that encourage cross-functional collaboration with individual contributions. Continuous improvement is an integral part of that culture.
Celgard is committed to providing competitive pay and benefit programs that meet the needs of our employees and their families. We recognize that our greatest asset is our people and that they deserve the best support. In addition to a competitive salary and bonus potential, we offer comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, a 401(k) plan, holiday and vacation pay, and more.
Pictured: advancements in Li-ion battery technology have charged the electric EDV industry.
Keys to SuccessWe promote a collaborative yet self-directed environment here at the Concord facility, and you'll have the opportunity to share knowledge, insight and best practices with other Engineers while also working independently. Because you'll be involved in virtually all aspects of each engineering project you touch, including practical design work, it will be essential that you have a robust arsenal of well-rounded engineering skills. You'll need the ability to monitor budgets, coordinate technical aspects, create solutions, provide direction and guidance to your direct report, work with contractors to solicit bids, and much more. This is a dynamic, fast-paced environment where things move quickly and change often -- flexibility and adaptability will be essential to your success.
Additionally, in order to be an outstanding Project Engineer, you will possess the following core competencies and characteristics:
Individual contribution and ownership -- we thrive on the contribution each person brings to our organization and therefore we are looking for individuals who excel in a team-based environment that requires accountability, integrity, and a customer focus while working under limited supervision. Individuals, through the structure of their team, are empowered to have ownership of their process.
Interpersonal and communication skills -- teamwork is essential to your success, and communication is essential to a strong team. You will assist in creating an environment where open and honest communication is the norm -- with your teammates as well as all groups in the organization. You should have solid interpersonal skills along with effective written and verbal communication skills.
Safety and our environment -- through our actions we strive to do zero harm to our people and environment. All employees will actively assist in maintaining and improving an accident free workplace. For the benefit of our employees and product, the Concord facility is drug-free.
About UsCelgard is a global leader in the development and production of specialty microporous membranes and is one of the largest suppliers to the lithium battery industry. Our battery separators are among the most highly-engineered and critical components of lithium battery systems. They provide a barrier between the anode and the cathode, preventing short circuits, while enabling the exchange of lithium ions from one side of the battery to the other.
Celgard has a long history of supplying separators for portable handheld devices such as notebook computers, mobile telephones, and digital cameras. And because of their unique characteristics and reliable performance, our separators are quickly being adopted into emerging high-performance applications including lithium power tools, backup power and electricity grid management systems, and -- most significantly -- electric drive vehicles (EDVs).
With company headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina, and battery separator manufacturing facilities in the United States and Asia, we are ideally positioned to serve the just-in-time needs of a global market.
Celgard is a division of Polypore, an Asahi Kasei Group company. The Asahi Kasei Group is a diversified group of companies led by holding company Asahi Kasei Corp., with operations in the material, homes, and health care business sectors. Its electronics operations include a broad range of high-performance energy/electronics materials such as the Hipore™ lithium-ion battery separator, photosensitive dry film used in the production of printed wiring boards, and photomask pellicles used in the production of LCD panels and semiconductors. With more than 30,000 employees around the world, the Asahi Kasei Group serves customers in more than 100 countries.