RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Coating Formulation Engineer opportunity, you also should have:
- A Master’s or PhD degree (highly preferred) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science, or Materials Science
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of product development in the area of polymer, formulation, and coating development
- Academic or industrial experience for monomer and polymer synthesis
- An understanding of the structure-property-relationship of small molecules and polymer
- Hands on experience in formulating ceramic and polymer for thin-film coating application
- The ability to plan experiments based on statistical methodology (designs of experiments)
- Project Management experience
- A strong ability to work independently, as well as with cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong creativity and independence
- A self-starter with a positive attitude
- A team player who functions equally well as the team lead or as an individual contributor
- Management experience
- Previous experience in Lithium ion battery
- Familiarity with organic chemistry
Pictured: Celgard® product rolls
The RoleThe Technical Manager, to whom you will report, believes in providing autonomy to successfully achieve results that impact the business. You will be provided with the direction and goals of the company, with an expert manager available for technical guidance and perspective gained through his experience, but you will be responsible for determining how to best support this direction.
You will work as part of the greater R&D team of 40+ highly collaborative and talented individuals. There are many opportunities to bounce ideas off of others and collaborate in this creative environment, including the team at our parent company in Japan.
Your role is primarily two-fold: (1) Product Development and (2) R&D.
For the first year, your work will primarily be in Product Development. During the first few months, we will look to you to learn our environment and our technology and begin the work of bringing us up to speed with our current projects. We have several going and will want a smooth transfer to you of that technology. Two Technicians will report to you.
As you progress in your role your time will break down along these estimated percentages:
70% Product Development:
- Customer related projects: performing customer sampling and making and developing new formulations for near future commercialization
- A good portion of your time will be spent providing technical advice to Marketing and Sales and supporting our Technical Services Team
- Working together with process engineers in our plants
- Traveling outside the U.S. (approximately 20%)
- Providing technical support to a variety of customers in a number of countries including China, Korea, Japan and the United States.
- Expanding your knowledge of future technology: reading articles, doing research, going to related conferences, and building your network
- Lab work – you will hold responsibility for running the trials
- Collaborative discussions within the team but also outside the team, networking within the industry, going to customers; gathering information from outside the company.
- Develop coating formulations for lithium ion battery separators
- Develop ceramic based aqueous formulation – polymeric binders, additives, inorganic filler
- Design and synthesize new binder and additive materials
- Operate Lab-pilot coater for coating development
- Perform analysis of materials and coated products
- Propose new concept for next generation coating technology
- Provide technical support to key customers.
Why CelgardInnovative environment -- we are proud of being one of the best companies in our industry and #1 in the world for the dry process. The market for Lithium batteries is growing fast and the demand is soaring, especially with the strength of the electric vehicle market. We will look to you to help keep us current and to work on developing the next ground-breaking product.
Professional development -- we are always looking for talent with the bandwidth to grow. We employ a rigorous employee planning process each year to help you clarify and work toward your career goals.
Broad applications -- our product line is used in a diverse number of applications in robust markets, including laptops, cell phones, digital cameras, and more.
Research & development -- Celgard continuously enhances the design and functionality of our battery separators through significant research and development. We take pride in our teams of scientists, engineers, and technical specialists, who enable us to remain a market leader in technology advancement.
Competitive compensation -- in addition to a competitive salary and discretionary bonus incentive, we offer a strong and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a prescription drug program; a 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts; vacation and holiday pay; educational assistance; and more.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role, you will hold yourself to high standards and bring a strong work ethic. By that, we don't necessarily mean long hours, but rather a sense of ownership, professionalism and expertise, and great follow-through habits.
How you think about structures will be essential. You will need a deep understanding of how polymer interacts with other materials, how structures of the molecules or the polymer have different impacts on the properties of the product.
Passion for developing next generation concepts on your own and in collaboration with others is essential. Just as important will be your interpersonal and leadership skills, not only to guide your team, but also to interact effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
About CelgardWith more than 40 years of experience in the development, manufacturing, and distribution of high-performance membrane separators, Celgard is a recognized leader among lithium battery material suppliers, delivering outstanding product performance, reliable supply, technical solutions, and global business support. Our exceptional leadership team has years of experience in our markets and is comprised of recognized visionaries in battery and separator design and manufacturing. The entire Celgard team is dedicated to providing premium products and services to help our customers build the best batteries for today's and tomorrow's applications.
Celgard provides worldwide business support with sales and technical service team members located throughout Asia, North America, and Europe. Manufacturing operations are located in the USA, China, and Korea. We are ideally positioned to serve the just-in-time needs of a global market. We have a global network of distribution partners who provide personal assistance with our customers' procurement needs. These authorized distributors are a great asset to our world-class product supply chain.
A career at Celgard provides opportunities for challenge and advancement. Our goal is to create an environment where all employees can excel, grow, and perform to their highest potential, providing value and service to our customers and the communities in which we operate.
Celgard is part of Polypore International, Inc., a global high-technology filtration company specializing in microporous membranes. Also based in Charlotte, NC, Polypore International, Inc., operates in ten countries serving six continents.